Monday, December 3, 2012

Homemade Brown Sugar Scrub


I had originally planned to post this recipe after Christmas (as I intend to give these as gifts this year). However, after mentioning it on Twitter, I had several people request a blog post because they too would like to use it as gifts. So, I caved and posted it early. Ask and you shall receive.

For the guys who read my blog: If you are on a tight budget this year, but still desire that jaw dropping, high-pitched squeal of delight from your wife/girlfriend/Mom/Grandmother... this is for you! It's easy, budget friendly, and will only take a few minutes of your time. And if you really want to impress her... tell her that you made it yourself-just for her. Guaranteed hit, my friend. Trust.Me.

And lastly, if you are a close friend or family member, and you want to act be surprised when you open your present, I would stop reading. Don't say I didn't warn you! Haha! 


Homemade Brown Sugar Scrub




Ingredients:

Glass jar
(I re-purposed a small pickle jar because I'm cheap like that. But you could use a mason jar or small decorative glass jar found at Michael's, Hobby Lobby or Jo Ann's for around $1 a piece.)
3 cups of brown sugar
1 cup of organic coconut oil
(I use coconut oil on a daily basis for it's varied health benefits and recommend the brand Spectrum. If you do not have any coconut oil on hand, you can substitute it with extra virgin olive oil.)
2-3 Tbsp of local organic honey
1 tsp of vanilla extract (you may also substitute the vanilla extract with a few drops of your favorite essential oil)

Tip- Feel free to change up the measurements in order to achieve your desired consistency and texture. Personally, I add an additional 1/2 cup of coconut oil to mine, but this is a great starting point-especially if it is your first time to make it.

Directions:

Mix together coconut oil, honey, and vanilla extract. Blend well. Slowly add in the brown sugar to the mixture until you achieve your desired consistency. Add contents to glass jar. Enjoy!

You can use this brown sugar scrub daily. It makes your skin feel luxurious and smells heavenly!

Note: The oil in this scrub will cause your bath/shower to become slippery. Use caution when getting out. We don't want any injuries! Also, if you choose to use the coconut oil, it will cause your skin to feel oily when you first get out of the bath/shower. Simply pat down your body to dry off and massage the oil into your skin (like you would do with lotion). The coconut oil leaves your skin feeling as soft as a newborn! And if you are a fibromyalgia sufferer like I am, the coconut oil helps sooth my pain as well.

Easy-peasy. Enjoy, my friends! 
Are you making homemade gifts this year? If so, what are you making?!


5 comments:

  1. I just might use this for the wifey wife wife! thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat idea! I will have to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best scrub I have ever used! And a heck of a lot cheaper than that ones you buy at the store :)

      Delete
  3. Awesome! I'm so trying this!! I just found your blog through the December Blog Hop over at Bloggy Moms. Love your blog, I'm your newest follower!

    Elle
    Dig Deep Studio

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! They brighten my day!